Managements Plan are prepared in accordance with the requirements of the Local Government Act 1999, which prescribes that a Council must prepare and adopt a Management Plan for all Local Government land (except roads) referred to as "community land". Community land is land owned by a Council, and/or land which though not owned by the Council, is under its care, control and management.
In accordance with subsection 196 (1) of the Local Government Act 1999, management plans are required for:
- land that is, or is to be , occupied under a lease or licence; and/or
- land that has been, or is to be, specifically modified and adapted for the benefit or enjoyment of the community.
A management plan is not required for land which
- has been excluded from the classification of community land, and/or
- is undeveloped or left in its natural state, or for coastal reserve where there are no improvements.
Public consultation is to be undertaken prior to adopting Community Land Management Plans in accordance with Council's public consultation policy (section 197 of the Local Government Act 1999), to provide an opportunity for community input and comment. Once adopted by Council, Community Land Management Plans may only be amended or revoked by Council after public consultation, unless the amendment has no impact or significant impact in the interests of the community. In general, public consultation involved the following:
- Public notice in Advertiser and local newspapers announcing Draft Community Management Plans available, and inviting comment and submissions.
- Letters to known users, and neighbouring property owners.
- Public forums in principal towns for the purpose of information, discussion and comment on the Draft Management Plans
Having prepared and adopted community land management plans, Council must then manage community land in accordance with any management plan for the relevant land.
Council's Community Land Management Plans and associated documentation were reviewed by Council in June 2009 and adopted at the Council Meeting held on 6th July 2009.