COVID-19 Response

Council's Goolwa and Strathalbyn libraries and offices are open to the public. For more detailed information about particular services affected click here and for the latest updates on Alexandrina Council's response to COVID-19 click here

Please contact us by phone 8555 7000 or email

Dismiss alert

Parking Infringements

This page includes information on:

  • Parking infringements
  • Penalties for overdue payments
  • Payment options
  • Disputing a parking infringement notice
  • Parking forms

Who is responsible for paying a parking infringement?
The owner of the vehicle is responsible for the infringement notice. If you were not driving the vehicle at the time, you must provide a Statutory Declaration including the full name and address of the driver to the Alexandrina Council.

If the vehicle has been sold prior to the offence date, you should forward a copy of the disposal notice or a Statutory Declaration with the new owner's full name and address.

Penalties for overdue payment
Payment of the infringement notice is required by the due date specified.

Failure to pay by the due date will result in a reminder notice being forwarded to the registered owner of the vehicle which will include:

  • A late fee
  • A Motor Vehicle Search Fee
  • A new due date giving the vehicle owner an additional 14 days to pay

If payment is still not made by the end of the reminder notice(s), the infringement notice will be forwarded to the Fines Enforcement and Recovery Officer for enforcement.

Parking fines do not result in demerit points against your driver's licence. However, if the matter proceeds to the Fines Enforcement and Recovery Officer there may be other consequences if not paid including the suspension of your driver's licence or seizure of goods to be sold to satisfy the amount owing. Fine enforcement is administered by the Fines Enforcement and Recovery Unit.

Get in touch with the Fines Unit today if you have overdue fines. Just call 1800 659 538 or to visit the Fines Unit website.

Payments Options

Pay online with your credit card. Mastercard and Visa are accepted.

By telephone. Please call Alexandrina Council office between 9.00am - 5.00pm Monday-Friday or Saturdays 8:30am – 12.00noon. Please have the infringement notice available at the time of the call.

In person. Please present your infringement notice to the Strathalbyn or Goolwa office.

By mail. Cheques or Money Orders should be made payable to Alexandrina Council and forwarded with the infringement notice details to PO Box 21 Goolwa SA 5214.

Receipts will only be issued if clearly requested.

Flexible options for paying overdue fines

People now have more flexible options to pay their overdue fines due to changes to the management of fines in South Australia.

A new unit, the Fines Enforcement and Recovery Unit, has been established within the Attorney-General’s Department to recover overdue fine amounts owed to state and local government bodies. These functions moved from the Courts Administration Authority to the new Fines Unit on 3 February 2014.

What this means for fines owed in South Australia 

  • It’s now easier for people to manage overdue fines, with more options available. Overdue fines can be paid online and over the phone and in person at any Australia Post Office or Service SA Customer Service Centre
  • People can apply for a Payment Arrangement to spread their payment over a longer period, even before a fine is sent to the Fines Unit for enforcement). Prior to February 2014 an ‘application for relief’ had to be submitted to gain any kind of payment arrangement
  • For those who evade paying their fines escalating enforcement measures will be applied to recover the amounts owed. These enforcements include suspending driver’s licences, clamping and impounding vehicles, seizing and selling assets and making deductions directly from a person’s bank account or salary.

Get in touch with the Fines Unit today if you have overdue fines. Just call 1800 659 538 or visit the Fines Unit website.