Garages, Sheds, Carports and Verandahs
Do I need approval for a Carport, Shed, Garage or Verandah?
Yes, unless it is exempt under the following criteria:
- it is detached from and associated with another building
- it has a floor area less than 15 square metres or less than 10 square metres within a Historic Conservation Area
- it has any span (a distance between posts) less than 3 metres
- it has a height less than 2.5 metres above the natural surface of the ground
- it is behind the main face of the dwelling
- it is not within 900mm of a secondary street boundary
- it is not within 6m of the intersection of two roads
- it is not in an area identified as being prone to flooding in the Alexandrina Council Development Plan or where minimum finished floor levels are identified in the Alexandrina Council Development Plan are achieved.
Please note: The above also applies to pergolas and/ or structures that do not have a solid roof. Solid roof refers to a non permeable material.
More information and how to lodge for a Carport, Shed, Garage or Verandah.