Rain Water Tanks / Solar Panels
Do I need development approval to install a rainwater tank?In some circumstances rainwater tanks which meet certain criteria do not constitute development and therefore do not require development approval.
Your proposed rainwater tank will not require Development Approval if it is:
- part of a roof drainage system
- has a total floor area not exceeding 10 square metres
- is located wholly above ground
- has no part higher than 4 metres above the natural surface of the ground
- not located within a State or Local Heritage place.
For further information regarding the installation of rainwater tanks please click here.
Unless your property is a State or Local Heritage Place, solar photovoltaic panels do not require development approval if:
- the designed photovoltaic system must not exceed a total weight of 100kg
- the designed photovoltaic system's weight, if more than 100kg:
- is distributed so that it does not exceed 100kg at any one point of attachment to the roof
- the panels do not overhang any part of the roof
- the panels are fitted parallel to the roof with the underside surface of the panels being not more than 100mm above the surface of the roof
- the panels are installed by an accredited installer.
For further information regarding the installation of solar panels please click here.