A person must not without the permission of Council, undertake certain activities on public foreshores and/or road reserves.

For the avoidance of doubt, ‘adjoining road reserves’ include streets, footpaths, verges and carparks abutting the foreshore. The foreshore includes all land between the low water mark and the adjoining road reserve (or private land) including the beach and sand dunes but excludes river frontage.

Dependent on the length of time of requested use, Council may issue a short term or a long term foreshore permit.  A short term permit would be issued for one off events. A long term permit would be issued for an activity which occurs periodically or on a regular basis from the foreshore or adjoining carpark.

 Commercial and community activities which require a Foreshore Permit include but are not limited to:-

Foreshore Commercial trading  - fee applies                                          

  • Surf schools                                                                
  • Board/canoe and other passive water craft hire               
  • Jet Ski hire                                                                   
  • Kite surfing hire                                                            
  • Trips, Adventures & Tours                                             
  • Advertising / Information Stands / Goods for sale                       
  • Amusements/carnivals (where admission fees apply)

Foreshore Community use - generally no fee applies (please contact Council's Property Officer to confirm)                                           

  • Surf carnivals                                                                
  • Private functions               
  • Display/car club parking                                                           
  • Seaweed Collection                                                
  • Clean up/rubbish removal events                                             
  • Camping


Alexandrina Council may charge a fee for use of foreshore and/or adjoining road reserve for commercial or community purposes. Fees payable will be in accordance with Council’s Schedule of Fees and Charges (as applicable).

Permit applications forms are required to be lodged with Council a minimum of twenty one (21) business days in advance of the activity unless otherwise negotiated with Council.

Fact Sheet

Terms & Conditions

Application Form


Not what you were looking for? Click here to return to Permits main page