COVID-19 Response

Council offices, libraries and VICs will re-open from Monday 23 November, however some services will remain closed until further notice.

For more detailed information about particular services affected click here and for the latest updates on Alexandrina Council's response to COVID-19 click here

Please contact us by phone 8555 7000 or email

Dismiss alert

Dry Areas

Long Term Dry Areas

Council has various Long Term Dry Areas within its district boundaries, they are:

Goolwa Skate Park

24 hour continuous Dry Area

Click here to view the Map of the Goolwa Skate Park Dry Area

Strathalbyn Skate Park

24 hour continuous Dry Area

Click here to view the Map of the Strathalbyn Skate Park Dry Area

Strathalbyn Township Dry Areas

From 9.00pm to 6.00am, seven (7) days a week

Click here to view the Map of the Strathalbyn Township Dry Areas

Port Elliot Township Dry Area

From 10.00pm to 6.00am, seven (7) days a week

Click here to view the Map of the Port Elliot Township Dry Area

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a Dry Area?

Liquor Licensing legislation states that a "dry area" is an area where the consumption of alcohol or possession of open containers of alcohol is prohibited.  This applies even if you are just moving through a Dry Area.  Possession of alcohol in an open container does not take account of whether the alcohol is being consumed or not.  A person can possess alcohol (eg carton of beer, a bottle of wine or alcohol in an esky) in a Dry Area provided the container is unopened. Unless the contrary intention appears, the prohibition of the possession of liquor in the area does not extend to:

[a]  a person who is genuinely passing through the area if:
(i)  the liquor is in the original container in which it was purchased from the licensed premises; and
(ii) the container has not been opened; or

[b]  a person who has possession of the liquor in the course of carrying on a business or in the course of his or her employment by another person in the course of carrying on a business; or

[c]  a person who is permanently or temporarily residing at premises within the area or on the boundary of the area and who enters the area solely for the purpose of passing through it to enter those premises or who enters the area from those premises for the purpose of leaving the area.

What penalties apply for breaching a Dry Area?

A person who consumes alcohol or has possession of opened containers of alcohol in a Dry Area between 9.00pm and 6.00am (Strathalbyn), between 10.00pm and 6.00am (Port Elliot)  or anytime within a 24 hour time period (Goolwa Skate Park & Strathalbyn Skate Park) is guilty of an offence. The offence carries a maximum penalty and offenders are usually issued with an expiation notice plus payment of a Victims of Crime Levy.   Dry Areas are monitored by SA Police.

Why have Dry Area areas been designated?

The implementation of the Dry Area areas should reduce the incidence of public drinking and subsequent anti social behaviour associated with intoxication.  Dry Areas raise awareness amongst all community members that drinking to excess in public is not a socially acceptable activity.  Local residents and visitors alike need to be aware that the Alexandrina Council is a proactive, socially responsible and family friendly community.

Who monitors the Dry Areas?

SA Police will monitor the Dry Areas. They should be contacted on all matters relating to the Dry Areas by phoning 13 14 44.

Does the Dry Area affect private property?

Rules for the Dry Areas only apply to public places, so you may consume alcohol or possess an open container on private property providing that doesn't cross the private boundary and stray into Dry Areas.

Are Caravan Parks affected if they are located within a Dry Area?

Within the Alexandrina Council region, Caravan Parks have not been included within the Dry Area boundaries.  However there may be local Caravan Park rules which apply to the consumption of alcohol within the Caravan Park.

Can alcohol be consumed in a privately owned vehicle in a Dry Area?

A person is not permitted to consume alcohol or possess an open container of alcohol in a privately owned vehicle within a Dry Area.

When do the Dry Areas apply?

Dry Areas operate at different times dependent upon their location (see above times).  People can consume alcohol or possess open containers of alcohol in these areas at other times of the day except for the Goolwa & Strathalbyn Skate Parks which are "dry areas" 24 hours per day, seven days a week.

For further information, please contact Council's Governance Administration Officer at the Alexandrina Council on (08) 8555 7000 or email:

Dry Areas are monitored by SA Police.  Any concerns regarding persons drinking in a designated dry area are to be reported to SA Police on 13 14 44

Updated:  18 January 2018